Friday, February 18, 2011

First, Let's Look at Ourselves...


First, Let’s Look at Ourselves…

We’ve now defined culture—or we’ve at least come to a mutual understanding of it—and before moving on to any sort of classroom strategies, Davis encourages us to look inward at our personal experiences with race and culture. This next section will take a look at your life rather than your students, because in order to reach our students we, as educators, must know who we are first. As Davis said, “the more we know about ourselves, the better we can reach and support our diverse learners” (40).

That being said, teachers continually lead a dual life. One life takes place in the classroom (we’ll call this the Educator Self) and the other takes place outside (we’ll call this the Personal Self). Both are extensions of the other and must be explored before moving on in our discussion.

First, let’s reflect on our Educator selves. Based on the questions that Davis presents, I’d like you to consider the following:
·       
      Think of the physical environment of your school and classroom. Do they reflect diverse individuals? How many steps must you walk before you see a picture of a culturally diverse person?
·       
      Think of your verbal and nonverbal interactions in school. Does your body language change when communicating with some students and not others? Do your interactions with both colleagues and students reflect the sort of interactions you expect back from them?
      
      Think of your relationship with your content. Do you practice it outside the classroom? Do you have a broad understanding of it, and are you continually learning about it? Will your students leave at the end of the year liking your subject more than when they started?

In order to continually improve, any professional must constantly reflect on his or her performance, but I would argue that the reflection questions above are just as valid as those that reflect on lessons or unit goals. After all, students are far more responsive to our actions than anything else. Without even realizing it, we may be communicating certain biases or opinions. Therefore, it’s important to consider the actions of the Educator Self first.

The next step in this reflection is to move beyond the Educator Self and consider the Personal Self. After all, the actions and understandings that go on in your classroom most likely stem from your experiences outside of it. There are several ways in which we can reflect on ourselves, but Davis encourages us to explore our racial identity above all else. This once again proves that this book is targeted to White teachers who are teaching students of other races. In fact, Davis says at one point that in order to “bridge better the cultural gap between the diverse learner and ourselves (if you are a White teacher), we must explore our racial identity” (44). I’m not sure why learners are only “diverse” when compared to a White teacher. I’m quite positive that there are a high number of diverse learners in any classroom, regardless of the skin color of either the students or the teacher. I’m also convinced that in order to be effective, every teacher must consider his or her racial identity and how it affects his or her actions in the classroom and beyond. Davis focuses specifically on this issue of Black and White, which does not (in my opinion) give enough credit to all the types of diversity that exist in our communities and schools. That being said, even though Davis focuses on Black and White racial identities, I feel that these reflections can apply to every person. She even says at one point that in our society “race impacts us 100% of the time, no matter our color” (44). Therefore, throughout the next part of this discussion, I encourage everyone to consider his or her racial identity and how race affects his or her personal life.

Davis presents two stories, the first being her racial history as a White woman, and the second being the racial history of her African American colleague and friend. These stories reveal a lot of insights not only into their personal lives, but also into what it means to be Black or White in America. However, these stories only reflect two people’s experiences; it is impossible for them to represent two racial groups. Thus, I’d like you to take the next few minutes to reflect on your racial past.

Think of how race has impacted (or eluded) you at these various times in your life:
·       Childhood
  •       Adolescence
  •        Adulthood
  •     How might your personal story compare with that of your classmates or your colleagues?

Finally, because Davis focuses mostly on White educators teaching students of color, she brings up a discussion of White privilege, by presenting a day in the life of the two women who shared their stories earlier. Once again, two people cannot possibly represent the experiences of entire racial groups, but the differences in their daily experiences are striking. Think about your own daily life. What or who do you see? What do you hear? How are you treated? How are people who look like you reflected back to you?
Davis refers to the diversity expert Glenn Singleton by stating that “each morning he looks out the window as a Black man, while I, as a White person, look out the window as just a person” (55).

Would you, regardless of your skin color, agree with this statement? Then, whether you agree or disagree, how do you think this could affect our students? How might White privilege be affecting them in their daily lives? How might this translate into the actions and opinions that exist in our classroom?
As you continue on in the future, I encourage you to consider your role in either supporting or eliminating White privilege at your school. What are some ways that you can privilege all children? What are some ways that you can call attention to any oversights that occur at your school? How can you work with your students to ensure that every child feels confident and welcome at your school, regardless of his or her skin color or culture?

I hope you’ve had the opportunity to really look into who you are and how your personal story might contribute to the topic of diversity in America. I also hope that you can continue to use this knowledge as we go on to consider concrete strategies for dealing with diversity in our classrooms.

Lindsay

7 comments:

  1. Your final quote--that "I, as a White person, look out the window as just a person"--reminded me of a major theme we explored in my undergraduate classes: the marked and the unmarked categories of our cultural imaginations. Because of cultural norms, certain traits are assumed when we describe individuals based on character and career. Exceptions to the norm require marking--an adjective that sets them apart from the expected, making certain instances seem extraordinary.

    Think about it: in America, a talented musician of African-American Heritage may be hailed as "one of the great Black musicians of our time," but no one would think to say the same of a White musician. Equally true, we hear the terms "female doctor" and "male nurse" to identify exceptions to the rule. The term "male doctor" simply seems redundant.

    I live my life as an "unmarked" White American citizen, whose existence is the norm--not to be questioned, critiqued, or remarked upon. No one calls me a White college graduate, or a White academic, or a White professional. In these fields, my ethnicity is assumed.

    I also live my life as a "marked" woman, whose every success requires an adjective descriptor.

    ***

    Anyways, I feel like I'm rambling now. It was refreshing to be reminded of these concepts from my college classes. And it's interesting to think (but equally impossible to imagine) what my life would be like if I were "marked" in every way--if my life path were so unexpected and extraordinary that it required a qualifier.

    Do half of my students--the "marked" half--feel this way when they succeed in my classroom? Do they feel as though they are exceptions to the rule?

    Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsay,

    I think the presentation as a teacher with a dual life is misleading. There are many professions that allow for dual lives. However, teaching appears to be very connected to the personal self of the teacher. For example, the body language aspect of a teacher is very important. Students head the body language of their teachers, and they understand the signs of the teacher. My students know when I am getting frustrated because I bite a pen cap or I pick at my nails. When I get frustrated outside the classroom, I do the same thing. I constantly hear other teachers and educators encouraging me to reflect at professional development workshops. I keep wondering why they are saying this. I am excited for the weekend when I do not reflect, and I truly leave work at school. Maybe as I have more years under my belt, I will be able to detach from the emotional demands of education, but now I am just hoping for a little more personal time to separate professional from personal. So which is really better? How do the two influence each other? Can they ever been separate?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chloe,
    I was intrigued by your mention of the distinction between "marked" and "unmarked," especially when thinking about it in terms of my kindergarten students. 100% of the students in my class are African-American, and 99% of the students in my school are African-American. Despite the fact that my school does an excellent job of teaching Black history--and doesn't sugar-coat anything--many of my young students are not aware of the fact that they are a minority in our country, or that they are "marked" in any way. In fact, they see me, their "white teacher," as the "different" one.

    I had an interesting conversation with my students when we were talking about Jackie Robinson. I told them that in the past, black and white baseball players could not play on the same baseball teams. The black players were not allowed to play with the white players because of people's prejudice against African-Americans. When I asked them how that made them feel, one boy said that it would make him feel sad. I asked why, and he said "I would be sad that you wouldn't be allowed to play on the baseball team with me and Tavius and Tylan and all of us." It was very interesting to me that, despite the fact that I had explained, many times, the history of racial prejudice in our country, they saw me as the one who would not be allowed to play with them.

    Because of this, I don't think that my "marked" students see themselves as exceptions to a rule, or see that they are marked at all. I don't know if this is a product of the fact that I teach a classroom of students who are all the same race, of their age, of the fact that I hold all my students to very high expectations, of their community, or of a combination of factors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure in our first months teaching, we have all laughed at, questioned and been confused by some of the things our students have said in our classrooms. (For instance, prior to last August, I had no idea what it meant to "bank" someone.)

    One thing my students say quite frequently is "There are too many black people in this room. That's why it's so hot!" They also think they're truly insulting me when they call me a "white _______." I've tried to prod this idea by asking how ethnicity impacts the temperature of the room or the intensity of the remark or insult, but none of my students have ever been able to develop the thought further. Should it hurt me any more or less to have a racial adjective? I know this doesn't exactly follow the "marked" or "privileged" train of thought, but it's the first thing that came to mind. Growing up, I don't recall race ever being a topic of discussion. A result of my white privilege perhaps?

    I also wanted to point out that I loved Chloe's parallel with "female doctors" and "male nurses."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Much like the students in Millicent's class, I never consciously considered that I was a minority growing up. I was surrounded by Asian people, and it was just the norm. It wasn't until I got to Baltimore that it truly hit me that America as a whole looks very different from the part of America that I had lived in my whole life. It is strange, and it has happened many times, when I have walked into a room or a bar somewhere in the city and noticed instantly that I am the only Asian person, and the only minority that isn't cleaning something in the back. It's also strange when I walk into that room and see heads turn to give me a quick, quizzical look (it'd be nice if they were checking me out, but I don't think that's the case). When I now think about what a big role my culture and background play on my life, I better understand how necessary it is for me to respect and display the cultures and background of my students. By first examining and adjusting my mindset, I can become a more culturally responsive teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Similar to Jeff and Milli's comments, my students seem to not fully understand their position within the world, i.e. their demographic identities and how they will be judged by an outsider. This became most salient to me when we were comparing social classes of two group in The Outsiders. The greasers are a lower class impoverished group of adolescents, while the Socs are richer and of a distinctly higher class. When it came time to ask my students to identify their own cultural identies and their own social class, across the board, they overestimated their position. Nearly all said middle class and some even claimed upper class. Now, understand that this was not an activity in forcing my kids to understand their own poverty, which at 94 percent free and reduced lunch is pretty high, but it was certainly an interesting side effect. Whether they actually understand their poverty or not seems up for debate, but they certainly don't want to admit it if they do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The concept of the minority/majority is something that I have always been aware of growing up. As one of the only Asian students in my hometown being raised by white parents, I have always been aware of my surroundings. It is something that required adjusting and the development of a thick skin of sorts. While I was younger, those inquisitive looks that I received were very bothersome and almost hurtful. Over the years, I have truly come to appreciate it as natural curiosity. With my own students, as others have mentioned, I have come to realize that their upbringing has often limited their view of things outside of Baltimore. It is my ultimate goal, by sharing my own experiences, to show them what diversity looks like outside of their neighborhood and outside Baltimore.

    ReplyDelete